Skip to main content

Let the planning begin

If you  missed my post yesterday Grayson is now 10 months old!

That means I have 2 months to prepare and figure out how to pay for a birthday party.

We have a big family / extended family so with just family it is about 35 people. Then add in the close family friends that have been there for it all we are looking at 50, and that is cutting the list way down from my original must invite everyone list. This is a birthday party not a wedding.

I cannot and will not have that many people in my shoebox of a house so renting some venue is our only option. Only I don't want to waste a huge amount of money for a rental fee so I have been calling places trying figure out the cheapest/nicest place to host a 1 year old birthday party. Also there must be beer (and lots of it). Some places make you buy their bar package (which means you have to pay 8.95 per person even if they won't drink anything but water) blah, so they get tossed out the window. And I want to bring my own food in. I don't want to pay the over priced not as good caterer or ladies auxiliary to provide sub par food. Remember as you read this I'm a control freak.

I also get a lot of questions as to why having beer is so important because it's a one year old birthday party to which I reply " I'm still trying to make up for going without it for 10+ months".

I finally found a venue. It's at a private club but my brother is a member so I'm in like Flynn. They have a bar that we can run a tab for as long as we like so I don't have to buy a bar package for someone who is just going to drink water. I can bring my own food in and decorate however I want. We go and sign the contract on Saturday and it's only a $25.00 deposit so that's awesome.

Now here is the kicker. Grayson was born on March 19th. The only dates they had available were the 8th or the 22nd. Now the 22nd was my dream date but due to my hubby's work schedule that is a day that is blacked out for taking days off. So I had to go with the 8th.  Do you think that's too early? I will second guess this decision until he is 25 because I'm crazy like that. I thought for a second about having the party on the 22nd because that's what I wanted and then I realized that would make me a selfish bitch because as I get reminded all the time he is our son not just my son. I call bull shit because I carried him for what felt like ever. I digress

So now that the day is picked I need to get the invites ASAP! Do I want a picture one? or one with just the info? I snapped some pictures of him last night on my good camera and I think I found the invite I want from etsy. However where do I print it at? I want it on thick cards stock and suggestions?

And theme? I chose a mustache theme. I didn't want anything too babyish. I wanted something that would be fun for the adults too. But colors? Oy. I think I will go with a red and blue. Plus now I need to get decorations and a cute outfit that is mustache related for my nugget and me because I will not be left out.

Then the food. Oh the food. I'm thinking I will do the pulled pork and then have everyone else in my family bring a side or an appetizer. Does that make me cheap? Probably but I know that will appreciate the fact that the less I spend on food the more beer they can throw down their throats.

I'm already going crazy and if I had an unlimited budget that would be great. But we cannot go in the poor house for a party that he will not remember.

Any suggestions from some veteran moms??? I will take all the advise I can get!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Love that it's Friday Love that its Friday and we have a beautiful weekend ahead of us! Linking up with Andrea today! One These PJ's. When we first got married (and even before I was married really) I used to wear cute PJ's to bed and then I started to wear not so cute PJ's to bed so I ordered some new ones and OMG girls get these now. So so soft so so comfy and under $20.00! Plus they have pockets!   Two While your shopping at Kohls throw some of these picture frames in your cart! Just for fun! I love that they are easy to change out and have a distressed look! Plus they can sit on a shelf or be hung on the wall. Love! Three We have been swimming like crazy and that equals all the things that go with swimming like a million towels and swim suits. My bathroom was a mess. I usually never wash my swim suits I just rinse them out and hang dry they last a lot longer doing it that way and so I had things hanging every where! So I ord

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a

Home Schooling

Ah home schooling something that all of the country was thrown into. March 13 th was the last day that Grayson went to school and Charlotte and Marshalls last day was March 12 th . We got the call on March 15 th that school was closed for 2 weeks and that a pick up for at home materials would be on Tuesday. It was not required just suggested and so we loosely did school work. A worksheet here, spelling words here, some math problems ya know simple things. We truly believed that 2 weeks and they would be back in the classroom that is what the district presented as happening and so the distance learning was just to occupy time not to really learn anything new. Everything we were given was review.  Then we got the notification March 30 th we were closed again for another 2 weeks. Again, we were being loose with the learning because I was now working from home all but one day a week and had all three kids home and lets be honest it was a lot. Michael was still working 4-5 days a wee