Skip to main content

Judgement

I have faith and I know that it is not my place to judge anyone. People are free to do as they please as long as they are not harming anyone, or themselves.

However the other day I was judged.

I was buying my sweet almost 6 month old (Not until Thursday) baby formula at Target the other day. (BTW they run great specials where you get a $10 gift card if you buy so many containers of formula!) The lady next to me in the isle was buying breast pads. I smiled at her, like I do with all mom's, and she gave me a dirty look. My inner self was all "WTF beyotch" But I just looked away and went about putting my formula in my cart. I saw her moving closer and she came over to me and said " You know breast is best, shame on you for pumping your baby full of processed foods already". I stood there with my mouth open for a second and she started to walk away. I yelled out to her "Have a nice day".

I finished shopping still in shock that someone would be that rude! I got in the car and started crying to my husband on the phone. "I'm not a bad mom, I tried to breast feed him, We had issues, I tried really hard". He calmed me down enough that I could drive home and it got me thinking about mom's.

We are all trying to survive. I tried to breast feed. I did so successfully for a week. Grayson could not keep down my milk. He had issues (that we now know are acid reflux). Grayson also could not keep up with my supply. I got so engorged and had milk fever so bad that I was stuck in bed for 2 days. I could barley feed him and he had a hard time latching because I was so hard. It just did not work for us. Our pediatrician advised us at his first check up that he had lost more weight than was normal and that he was jaundice. We were advised to supplements with formula. That night as I was in tears and G would not latch my husband and I decided to try a bottle of formula. Grayson drank it down and did not spit up. He was happier and slept better. I did cry for 2 days straight about the decision to not breastfeed. Breast feeding was not for us. And that's OK.

The lesson I learned was don't judge. So what if the mother next to you has dried puke on her and bags under her eyes. Giver her a smile. She is surviving.We don't know each others stories so we should not judge. I know I'm not the perfect mother. However my child is well feed ( I mean boy does not miss a meal at 20 lbs.) He has clothes and a nice bed to sleep in. So what if I feed him formula. That does NOT make me a bad mom. It makes me his mom, the only one that knows in her gut what is right for us.

I'm proud of myself for not giving into her rude behavior. I'm sure she is a great Mom, and I will chalk it up to hormones and maybe her own frustration in breastfeeding, and sleep deprivation, and just the whole world turning upside down thing. I will give her a pass and know that I'm a good momma. My boy smiles, and we love him. And at the end of the day that is all I can do love him and follow my momma gut.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four Things right now

Four things about all of us right now... Grayson One- This boy has finally found his groove in 1st grade. Kinder to 1st was a big adjustment but he's doing well now. And he is a spelling champ! He does sooooo good on his spelling tests! Two- Hockey is life for this kid. He skates twice a week (once doing a hockey specific clinic and once doing family skate see below) His skills are really growing Three- He loves reading and so we are riding that wave all the way. Four- He has to wear his glasses full time now. What started out as hey wear these when you watch TV that is farther away or when you sit farther from the board has turned into needing them full time. Our school has a local organization that comes in and does eye assessments for free for the elementary schools and they sent home a letter saying get him to the eye doctor he needs glasses (well that was the jist of it) and we since we already had glasses from his eye doctor he just started with tho...

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a ...

Conferences, Grocery Pick up and trying to get out the door

I had grand plans to document our day on Friday. I was going for an every hour sort of thing and then after the 3rd hour lost track I will shoot for next Friday though we will see I'm off on Friday's ( all the happy faces for a 4 day work week and the $$$ saved on daycare ) It was our February break from school so Grayson is home too. I get up at 6:15 on Fridays which is sleeping for me because during the week I'm up at 5 and I head downstairs to do a workout. I'm in a funk right now with that stuff but I still move my body. Today I did a 10 min arm video and 10 min lower body video. I stretch for a few mins and I'm done just in time for Grayson to come wandering down the stairs. I chug some water. Check in with Michael and head upstairs to get Marshall and Charlotte from their beds. They both woke up dry (we are in the throws of potty training and are still in pull ups at night for now) They charge downstairs yelling that they have to pee and demanding...