Skip to main content

Next weekend

I have contemplated writing about this but I need to get it out. Have my thoughts out so my head is a little bit less jumbled. This post may get long.....

Next weekend we are going camping. But it is camping with a purpose. In October my Grandma (my mom's mom) passed away. It was so devastating and I still don't think I have processed it because well let me go back before I get into all of that.

I found out I was pregnant July 17th. On July 23rd I got a phone call from my Mom telling me that Grandma was sick and they had taken her to the hospital because she was having trouble using the bathroom and her stomach was starting to swell. They thought it was just a blockage and that she would be out within a few days. Well they did a colonoscopy and found a blockage that was too big for that hospital to handle and that it was in fact a tumor. They biopsied it and it came back cancer. My grandmother a 22 year breast cancer survivor now had colon cancer. Within the week we had her transferred to Roswell Cancer Institute which is the most phenomenal place. She was transferred on a Friday so they had to wait until the following Tuesday to do surgery. I went to see her that first Saturday that she was up there and was with Mom on the car ride up I told her I was going to tell Grandma I was pregnant.

I have always been close to my Grandma and it just felt right to tell her even though I was just 6 weeks, my gut said it was OK. I sat down next to her in the hospital and said Grandma I have a secret to tell you and she looked me dead in the eye and said "Your pregnant". I started to cry told her yes and she was beyond excited and promised to keep my secret until we went to the doctors and got the OK to let it out.

Grandma went into surgery and was told it went good she stayed in the hospital for another 10 days. We were told that it was stage 4 colon cancer and that they could not give a time frame but strongly suggested chemo and radiation. My Grandma hates the snow so she insisted on going down to Florida (they have a house down there) for any further treatment. She had to recover from surgery before that could happen and staying with my Aunt that is right around the corner from my house. So I was there at least once a week to see her and talk about the baby. At this point everyone knew and it was fun to share that time with her. She left for Florida in the middle of September. I went to see her the night before she left and I gave her the biggest and longest hug. She told me the baby would be born on her birthday and she was holding that baby first. I went home and cried and prayed that all of that would happen.

My Grandma got down to Florida and started her chemo but only got one treatment and she quickly began to deteriorate. She could not eat anything and ended up back in the hospital by the first week in October. My mom and all her siblings rushed down there and got the worst news. The cancer had spread and was spreading at an unprecedented rate. Caner was in places that it had not been a mere 2 weeks earlier. They gave my Grandma only a week to live. I insisted I go down there to be with her but my mom and uncle did not want me traveling because I had already had a spotting scare. It killed me not to go down there but I listened to my family and ultimately knew it was for the best.

On October 25th I got the worst phone call. I knew when my phone rang and it was my mom that the news was not good. Grandma had gone to heaven to watch over us from above. Here I was pregnant and beyond devastated. I left work and went home to be with my sister and husband. I cried because she would not hold my baby. I would not get to witness that moment and see her love my child. I had been so close to her that I wanted to see her with my baby. It ripped apart my insides and I just felt like I was out of my body. But God has a way to snap us back because that was the first day that I felt my sweet little peanut  move. It was as if my baby was saying to me "it's OK momma, I'm still here".

There are a few things that make me feel better. I got my 20 week growth scan and ultrasound done on the 23rd of October and left there with awesome pictures of the precious gift growing in my body. I quickly took a picture of the picture and sent it to my Aunt who was with my grandma and she was able to see the baby. I also told her that my due date was changed from March 24th to the 17th. Grandma again said that baby will be born on my birthday, and I'm going to hold that baby first.

My son was born on March 19,2013 which is my Grandma's birthday. And I believe with my entire heart that my Grandma was there and she held that baby first. They have a bond now that can never be broken and he has the amazing gift of being born on her birthday. Grayson was a blessing, he took a day that would have been so hard the first birthday without her and made it a day we were overwhelmed with joy and knew that she was there with us. God answered my prayers, not the way I thought he would but he didn't let me down.

Since my Grandma's body was in Florida and her husband was staying down there we were not holding any funeral services which were her wishes. She wanted her ashes buried at her favorite place which was their campsite down in Pike, NY. So that is the long reason why we are going camping this weekend. We are having a memorial service and dinner for my Grandma. I'm hoping to find closure. I'm hoping to find peace. I'm hoping I make her proud with what I have to say about her and that she can still feel our love for her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Love that it's Friday Love that its Friday and we have a beautiful weekend ahead of us! Linking up with Andrea today! One These PJ's. When we first got married (and even before I was married really) I used to wear cute PJ's to bed and then I started to wear not so cute PJ's to bed so I ordered some new ones and OMG girls get these now. So so soft so so comfy and under $20.00! Plus they have pockets!   Two While your shopping at Kohls throw some of these picture frames in your cart! Just for fun! I love that they are easy to change out and have a distressed look! Plus they can sit on a shelf or be hung on the wall. Love! Three We have been swimming like crazy and that equals all the things that go with swimming like a million towels and swim suits. My bathroom was a mess. I usually never wash my swim suits I just rinse them out and hang dry they last a lot longer doing it that way and so I had things hanging every where! So I ord

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a

Home Schooling

Ah home schooling something that all of the country was thrown into. March 13 th was the last day that Grayson went to school and Charlotte and Marshalls last day was March 12 th . We got the call on March 15 th that school was closed for 2 weeks and that a pick up for at home materials would be on Tuesday. It was not required just suggested and so we loosely did school work. A worksheet here, spelling words here, some math problems ya know simple things. We truly believed that 2 weeks and they would be back in the classroom that is what the district presented as happening and so the distance learning was just to occupy time not to really learn anything new. Everything we were given was review.  Then we got the notification March 30 th we were closed again for another 2 weeks. Again, we were being loose with the learning because I was now working from home all but one day a week and had all three kids home and lets be honest it was a lot. Michael was still working 4-5 days a wee