Skip to main content

How we survived and ice storm

OK first things first a big shout out to Hubby Jack and the magic he worked on my blog design! I love it!!!


Being a weather person is the only job where you can be wrong 95% of the time and still be employed.....

They started calling for it on Thursday an ice storm that is.... and if your from where I'm from we usually throw all weather warnings to the wind and think nothing will happen. Buffalo is know for it's crazy weather. However since 2006 anytime they use the word ice I panic. If you don't know what I'm talking about here is link of what went down that year.

I still lived at home and my parents live about 5 miles from Lake Ontario. So for the most part they are in a bubble. However we lost power for 2 days and had the most insane weather. I was at work when it hit and it was crazy to drive in. It was sunny when I left for work so I only had on a fleece jacket and it was a blizzard when I left so I had to buy a coat and gloves just to be able to walk out of the store.

Anyway back to 2013......

I woke up Saturday at 2:30 in the morning to complete silence. I instantly knew we had no power because normally all I hear is Grayson's monitor and music and our fan going (my husband insists that he cannot sleep without it). I waited until 3 to call the power company and report my outage. About 3:15 I heard the loudest noise ever. I thought a tree had hit the house and had Michael go around and check all the rooms and windows. He said he saw the sky light up so it must have been a transformer. It is like 25 degrees at this point. We waited until about 4 and then scooped G out of his crib and bring him into bed with us

We figured with no heat it would get cold fast. We decided to sleep and then decided what to do in the morning. Let me just say I had a hard time falling asleep with Grayson snoring in my ear...

We got up at 7 checked the website and it said "still assessing damage no estimated time" I instantly called my parents to see if they had power. Thank God they did so we packed up and headed over there. 

Can I just tell you how hard it is to pack up everything for the day (we were celebrating Christmas with my brother there that day) for you whole family that includes a 9 month old and all the food I had to make for the party. Oh yeah throw in the fact they it's still pitch black out it took me almost an hour!!!! 

We called my uncle who lives around the corner (and had power) to come and  check on Riley. 

We found out around noon that they thought we would not get power until Monday so we started to make plans to stay the night
Around 5:30 my uncle called and said we had power!!!

Thankfully we went less than 24 hours without power and my parents never lost it but others were not so fortunate. Some families had flooding in their basements and no power so they had to be evacuated by the fire department. There were also people without power for days. My work was one of them. When I showed up to work on Monday we had no power. Thankfully I have a laptop as my work computer and could work from home.

We had a few trees down in our yard and saw some of the worst flooding on our drive over to my parents house.

Up next The Rash Part 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Love that it's Friday Love that its Friday and we have a beautiful weekend ahead of us! Linking up with Andrea today! One These PJ's. When we first got married (and even before I was married really) I used to wear cute PJ's to bed and then I started to wear not so cute PJ's to bed so I ordered some new ones and OMG girls get these now. So so soft so so comfy and under $20.00! Plus they have pockets!   Two While your shopping at Kohls throw some of these picture frames in your cart! Just for fun! I love that they are easy to change out and have a distressed look! Plus they can sit on a shelf or be hung on the wall. Love! Three We have been swimming like crazy and that equals all the things that go with swimming like a million towels and swim suits. My bathroom was a mess. I usually never wash my swim suits I just rinse them out and hang dry they last a lot longer doing it that way and so I had things hanging every where! So I ord

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a

Home Schooling

Ah home schooling something that all of the country was thrown into. March 13 th was the last day that Grayson went to school and Charlotte and Marshalls last day was March 12 th . We got the call on March 15 th that school was closed for 2 weeks and that a pick up for at home materials would be on Tuesday. It was not required just suggested and so we loosely did school work. A worksheet here, spelling words here, some math problems ya know simple things. We truly believed that 2 weeks and they would be back in the classroom that is what the district presented as happening and so the distance learning was just to occupy time not to really learn anything new. Everything we were given was review.  Then we got the notification March 30 th we were closed again for another 2 weeks. Again, we were being loose with the learning because I was now working from home all but one day a week and had all three kids home and lets be honest it was a lot. Michael was still working 4-5 days a wee