Skip to main content

Working on my heart-Mom Talk Tuesdays

To really understand how I want to share my faith with my little one you have to understand where I have come from.


This is a post about my religion. I'm just sharing my story, my struggle, my life.


Background:

I was raised in church (Methodist to be exact). I was baptized (at 3 weeks old), we went to church every week. When I was 10 I knew that God was my savior and I started my conformation classes to become a member of the church. I stayed going pretty consistently up until I got married. We got married in the church I grew up in and did all of our marriage counseling through that Church. Michael was baptized in that church one month before our wedding, which to make a long story short through our marriage counseling he found out he had never been baptized (his mom told him he was but when asked for the church she said it never had really happened) and it rocked him to his core so he elected to be baptized before getting married. It was so awesome that I got to be there to witness it and that he and Grayson were baptized in the same church! Anyway once we were married I attended here and there and then I had a long gap of not going, well when I went back I was not greeted with open arms more like a "oh nice of you to show up this week" (no really that was said to me) I was humiliated and felt judged and it was very hard for me. I stopped going.


One of the ladies that my Mom works, her husband is a pastor at a Lutheran church so my Mom and I started going there. Then I got pregnant. I felt like I really wanted to raise my baby in my home Church. But I was struggling with being there. I knew I wanted Grayson to get baptized so I went back to the church I grew up in and met with the pastor about baptizing my son. To say that the meeting was hard is an understatement.
She asked me why I was not a regular in her church service on Sunday's. I brushed it off with some mundane answer and moved on. 10 mins later and she asked me again why I had stopped coming to church. I blew so to speak and started crying and saying that I didn't feel welcome and I didn't feel God there anymore because of how I was treated. She was kind and gentle and told me that I had given her the inspiration to do a sermon about judgement. My mom and I went the weeks leading up to Grayson's baptism and then that day it all changed yet again. Once Grayson was baptized a comment was made that "we better not let more time pass or the church would fall down when we walked in" I was devastated. This was very hard on me. I was asked why Michael was never with me when I went to church and plain and simple he works. He works every single Sunday. He works hard to support our family and for that I'm grateful. I stopped going to church all together and struggled with my faith.


I got angry with God because of things that had happened. I stopped talking to him. I just didn't get what he was doing.


Then I stumbled upon a blog. Reading through her posts made me sit back and think. I thought the answer was to do a bible study and sit back by myself and work with God one on one. So I e-mailed Shay and asked her recommendation for a bible study. What she sent me back was not what I wanted to hear. She told me that church was a great foundation and cornerstone for faith. I was not sure what to do. I prayed for months. Then our church got a new pastor. I met her I felt a connection and I made my way back to church.

I cried my first day back. We sang a hymn and I could not control my tears. I felt him working within me. I don't make it every Sunday. But I do go every other for sure. I started reading Not a Fan, and that book is doing wonders on my life right now.

The thing is that God is working on me. I'm not perfect. I lose my temper, I question him, I get upset, I'm not a perfect mom or wife. But He loves me. He is walking with me through everything. I have a hard time trusting everything but we are working on that too. He is such a force moving in my life right now.

I knew once I had Grayson that I wanted him to know the Lord. I had such a strong relationship with him when I was younger and loved my Sunday school classes. Grayson is 2 and he does not fully get Jesus yet. Just this past Sunday  he told me that the pastors husband was Jesus because he was playing a guitar. But he loves going to church his favorite song is Jesus loves me and he says the best Aaaaamen when we are done praying. He goes to a daycare run by a non denominational church and they talk about God everyday. They only play religious music or nursery rhymes and they pray before every meal. I would say that his foundation into faith is strong right now. We are searching for a children's Bible to start reading with him. It's a strange thing to sit back and realize how much you have to teach this tiny person in front of you, but teaching him about God and his love is at the top of our list.

I say I did this because of Grayson but really I did it for me too. I'm blessed that God saw me through my dark times. He led me to Shay's blog that spoke to my heart. He put me at that craft show to meet the new pastor and He put that hymn in my face that day.

I'm not perfect I make mistakes but I am whole because of Him.

And just in case it gets asked,  my husband very much believes in God just as much as I do. He struggles with not being able to go to church with us however he knows that supporting our family is a job that he has to do and so he works on his relationship in his own way. 


linking up with Stephanie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Love that it's Friday Love that its Friday and we have a beautiful weekend ahead of us! Linking up with Andrea today! One These PJ's. When we first got married (and even before I was married really) I used to wear cute PJ's to bed and then I started to wear not so cute PJ's to bed so I ordered some new ones and OMG girls get these now. So so soft so so comfy and under $20.00! Plus they have pockets!   Two While your shopping at Kohls throw some of these picture frames in your cart! Just for fun! I love that they are easy to change out and have a distressed look! Plus they can sit on a shelf or be hung on the wall. Love! Three We have been swimming like crazy and that equals all the things that go with swimming like a million towels and swim suits. My bathroom was a mess. I usually never wash my swim suits I just rinse them out and hang dry they last a lot longer doing it that way and so I had things hanging every where! So I ord

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a

Home Schooling

Ah home schooling something that all of the country was thrown into. March 13 th was the last day that Grayson went to school and Charlotte and Marshalls last day was March 12 th . We got the call on March 15 th that school was closed for 2 weeks and that a pick up for at home materials would be on Tuesday. It was not required just suggested and so we loosely did school work. A worksheet here, spelling words here, some math problems ya know simple things. We truly believed that 2 weeks and they would be back in the classroom that is what the district presented as happening and so the distance learning was just to occupy time not to really learn anything new. Everything we were given was review.  Then we got the notification March 30 th we were closed again for another 2 weeks. Again, we were being loose with the learning because I was now working from home all but one day a week and had all three kids home and lets be honest it was a lot. Michael was still working 4-5 days a wee