Skip to main content

The mystery solved

Around Thanksgiving time my sweet boy got croup. It was awful. Think fever, barking cough, runny nose and eyes and sleepless nights. We took him to the doctor and they told us it was at the tail end of it and that they wanted it to run it's course on it's own. Fine I hate putting him on medicine if we don't have to.


But the cough never really went away if he got to coughing it was still barky but it was so rare I didn't pay much attention to it.


Fast forward to New Years Eve and he is running around with his cousins and he starts wheezing and having the barking cough. Once he calmed down he was fine. We decided to see how he did during the night and he was fine, well the next night he was awful. As in woke up at 5 in the morning and couldn't catch his breath he was wheezing so hard. It was of course a sunday so I took him to Urgent Care and he got put on a steriod.


Then on Wednesday he wasn't better at all so I took him to his primary doctor and they gave him a nebulizer and said to do treatments before bed and in the morning, and to follow up in a week. My boy did these like a champ. He seriously was so good for the 8-10 mins that he needed to hold it in his mouth. However right after he was horrible. Worse than before. The cough and wheeze never went away. He sounded like someone having an asthma attack but his lungs were crystal clear.


So we went back on Wednesday and they told us that they thought it was an inflamed epiglotis and that we would need to see an ENT asap. I just wanted my sweet love to breath normal again and be able to play and have fun without having to stop and catch his breath so the next morning I called an ENT that works out of the Children's Hospital here and the first thing they said was that they were booking in March. I told them we had seen the DR before back when Grayson had sinus issues and she told me her soonest then was February but then she said let me see if we have any cancellations and just like that we had an appointment at 10:45 that day.


I got Grayson from daycare and my dad met me there to help with transporting Grayson in and out of the car and office. So we went in waited a sweet forever and the Dr. said that he does not think it is the epiglotis and that he things he does have some inflamation in his throat however nothing that can't be solved with a steriod. So we are now on the steriod and after one dose he made a huge improvement! Finally. I was having a small freak out because anything with the epiglotis that I saw online was not good and so we are thanful that it is a simple steriod. Plus our doctor said that his last resort would be to do a scope because he does not want to put him under.

I will say having him on the steriod has been no walk in the park. It was such a high dosage to get it cleared up quickly to prevent further damage that he was a hyenna. I mean he had so much energy, was a bottomless pit and just was a wild boy. He finished his last dose on Sunday night and I'm so happy to report we have our calmer boy back this week.Anytime it comes to the health of someone in my family I carry it super heavy on my heart, and being pregnant my hormonal mind was running crazy, I'm so thankful that it was a simple fix!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Love that it's Friday Love that its Friday and we have a beautiful weekend ahead of us! Linking up with Andrea today! One These PJ's. When we first got married (and even before I was married really) I used to wear cute PJ's to bed and then I started to wear not so cute PJ's to bed so I ordered some new ones and OMG girls get these now. So so soft so so comfy and under $20.00! Plus they have pockets!   Two While your shopping at Kohls throw some of these picture frames in your cart! Just for fun! I love that they are easy to change out and have a distressed look! Plus they can sit on a shelf or be hung on the wall. Love! Three We have been swimming like crazy and that equals all the things that go with swimming like a million towels and swim suits. My bathroom was a mess. I usually never wash my swim suits I just rinse them out and hang dry they last a lot longer doing it that way and so I had things hanging every where! So I ord

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a

Home Schooling

Ah home schooling something that all of the country was thrown into. March 13 th was the last day that Grayson went to school and Charlotte and Marshalls last day was March 12 th . We got the call on March 15 th that school was closed for 2 weeks and that a pick up for at home materials would be on Tuesday. It was not required just suggested and so we loosely did school work. A worksheet here, spelling words here, some math problems ya know simple things. We truly believed that 2 weeks and they would be back in the classroom that is what the district presented as happening and so the distance learning was just to occupy time not to really learn anything new. Everything we were given was review.  Then we got the notification March 30 th we were closed again for another 2 weeks. Again, we were being loose with the learning because I was now working from home all but one day a week and had all three kids home and lets be honest it was a lot. Michael was still working 4-5 days a wee