Skip to main content

The cold hard truth-Our Debt

If you missed my post last week you missed the part where I declared boldly that I was obsessed with Dave Ramsey.

I plan to do monthly updates on our Baby Steps but I wanted to share with you some ugly numbers I discovered when embarking on this journey.


First a little back story. When Michael and I first got engaged I had a car loan, a small student loan (3,000) and he had a bike loan. We had no other expenses!!! He had $10,000 saved in an account for a house (from his grandpa).

We for sure got caught up in the hype of buying a home and that we had to do it sooner rather than later and that the only way to buy it was to take out a loan. Looking back if we would have found Dave earlier our lives would look very different but I know this is now our path to walk and we will do it together. 

Anyway we bought a house(used the $10,000 to update it since we bought a fixer upper), and then a lawn mower, and then a new car, and then we decided (when I lost my job) to consolidate some of our other loans into one payment. Then I went back to school while I was laid off and we took out student loans to do so. I graduated got a job and then got pregnant (very much planned) Then things just started adding up we didn't plan for the future (heat in the winter months we use oil which is super expensive) We didn't plan on Grayson going to daycare 3 days a week (a whole different story) and we made dumb selfish decisions.

So here we are and we are $62,353.99 in debt. Hold me sweet baby Jesus because that number scared the shit out of me. That does not include our house.


Once I picked my jaw up off the floor and got my blood pressure down. I decided to read the book before I went any farther. I went into this book thinking no way no how were we going to be able to get out of debt. 3 pages in and I knew we were going to do it. I don't want to get super specific with what we make but we make more than enough and now that we are taking control this debt is going to get a kick in the pants.

Michael is 1000% on board and even though I have been the one over reading about it and getting inspiration daily we sat down and did a full budget and have every dollar spent before the month even started. We also have envelopes for almost everything. Now there are certain things that we cannot envelope. Daycare, mortgage, car loan and other things because we have those on auto pay due to getting a savings because of that.

Now we have a unique situation where Michael has a set income but can (and most weeks/months does) make more than that. So we have decided to set our budget based on his guaranteed take home pay and then any extra goes to our emergency fund and then after that will go towards debt. Our first loan should be paid off by June if not sooner and I'm so excited.

I have decided to update once we complete baby step #1($1,000 Emergency Fund) and then after that am hoping to do monthly updates on our debt destruction. That's what we are calling it. I'm making a chart for our bedroom (because we don't want everyone seeing our income and debt when they come in our house) to show our progress. Listen anyone can do this. Let me take that back anyone who has the drive and determination can do this and will do it. And in the words of Dave Live like no else now so later you can live like no one else.

That's just what we plan to do.

Again I'm not an expert but I love talking about it with anyone!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Love that it's Friday Love that its Friday and we have a beautiful weekend ahead of us! Linking up with Andrea today! One These PJ's. When we first got married (and even before I was married really) I used to wear cute PJ's to bed and then I started to wear not so cute PJ's to bed so I ordered some new ones and OMG girls get these now. So so soft so so comfy and under $20.00! Plus they have pockets!   Two While your shopping at Kohls throw some of these picture frames in your cart! Just for fun! I love that they are easy to change out and have a distressed look! Plus they can sit on a shelf or be hung on the wall. Love! Three We have been swimming like crazy and that equals all the things that go with swimming like a million towels and swim suits. My bathroom was a mess. I usually never wash my swim suits I just rinse them out and hang dry they last a lot longer doing it that way and so I had things hanging every where! So I ord

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a

Home Schooling

Ah home schooling something that all of the country was thrown into. March 13 th was the last day that Grayson went to school and Charlotte and Marshalls last day was March 12 th . We got the call on March 15 th that school was closed for 2 weeks and that a pick up for at home materials would be on Tuesday. It was not required just suggested and so we loosely did school work. A worksheet here, spelling words here, some math problems ya know simple things. We truly believed that 2 weeks and they would be back in the classroom that is what the district presented as happening and so the distance learning was just to occupy time not to really learn anything new. Everything we were given was review.  Then we got the notification March 30 th we were closed again for another 2 weeks. Again, we were being loose with the learning because I was now working from home all but one day a week and had all three kids home and lets be honest it was a lot. Michael was still working 4-5 days a wee