Skip to main content

3 year old food issues

Ahhh there is nothing like a 3 year old who knows what they want. My 3 year old is particularly stubborn (he comes by it naturally from his father both of us)

Grayson was a big baby 10 pounds 4 ounces big. He come out eating 4 ounces every 4 hours and just went up from there.

We introduced rice cereal at 4 months, he loved it. We then went with fruits and veggies, also loved all of those. Then we graduated to the meals in a jar. Gobbled them up.

Then one day it all changed. He started refusing certain foods. So we switched it up.

Then his list of foods he would eat got smaller and smaller.

Now I can list out all the things he will eat and it's not that big. And forget getting him to try new foods.

So here is his list

Granola bars
Yogurt (he really loves my vanilla greek so that's mostly what he gets sometimes he begs for the Gogurts so I cave and buy those)
Nutrigrain bars
Veggie/Fruit pouches
Peaches
Bananas
Grapes (only purple because he's 3 )
Applesauce
Apples w/peanut butter
Peanut butter sandwiches
Waffles
Graham crackers
Goldfish/Cheezit's
Mini Muffins
Anything chocolate
Popsicles
Mac-n-Cheese
Most cereals (favorites are Frosted flakes and Mini wheats)
Smoothies


That's it.

And yes there is no meat on that list. I have never seen my child eat meat. Except for that one time he took a bite of a chicken nugget. Other than that nothing. They used to tell me he ate meat at school then they caught him one day shoving his food over to the other persons plate, because my kids is crazy like that. So we have just recently started with Carnation Instant Breakfast daily. He thinks it is chocolate milk so win win. I give him half a serving twice a day.

I have tried it all to get him to eat. No such luck and so we act like it's not big deal anymore.
I have bribed, threatened, let him go hungry, hidden food, not let him drink anything during dinner. I have done it all and the only thing that did was make us both super stressed out and emotionally drained. So now we let him choose his dinner and limit treats and always always offer him what we are eating. He can take it or leave it but we just stopped battling. I realized I was giving food too much power and I was potentially creating a kid who would have major food issues.

I have to say we are all much happier this way.

A few other things
I don't think this is a texture issue, as you can see from this list
We have consulted a doctor and a nutritionist. The biggest thing they told us was a daily vitamin which we do.
I'm not sure if this is because of him having baby food for too long meaning I didn't offer him table food soon enough. I do plan on doing a little more of baby led weaning with the twins.
He is growing and healthy and smart. My doctor does think I'm crazy because I get upset that he won't eat grilled cheese or a hot dog or pizza because as she keeps pointing out to me those aren't the healthiest food ever.
I love my son more than words can say and I will do whatever is best for him.I guess his stubborness with food is payback for all those times I would sit at the table for hours over taking one bite of green beans ha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Love that it's Friday Love that its Friday and we have a beautiful weekend ahead of us! Linking up with Andrea today! One These PJ's. When we first got married (and even before I was married really) I used to wear cute PJ's to bed and then I started to wear not so cute PJ's to bed so I ordered some new ones and OMG girls get these now. So so soft so so comfy and under $20.00! Plus they have pockets!   Two While your shopping at Kohls throw some of these picture frames in your cart! Just for fun! I love that they are easy to change out and have a distressed look! Plus they can sit on a shelf or be hung on the wall. Love! Three We have been swimming like crazy and that equals all the things that go with swimming like a million towels and swim suits. My bathroom was a mess. I usually never wash my swim suits I just rinse them out and hang dry they last a lot longer doing it that way and so I had things hanging every where! So I ord

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a

Home Schooling

Ah home schooling something that all of the country was thrown into. March 13 th was the last day that Grayson went to school and Charlotte and Marshalls last day was March 12 th . We got the call on March 15 th that school was closed for 2 weeks and that a pick up for at home materials would be on Tuesday. It was not required just suggested and so we loosely did school work. A worksheet here, spelling words here, some math problems ya know simple things. We truly believed that 2 weeks and they would be back in the classroom that is what the district presented as happening and so the distance learning was just to occupy time not to really learn anything new. Everything we were given was review.  Then we got the notification March 30 th we were closed again for another 2 weeks. Again, we were being loose with the learning because I was now working from home all but one day a week and had all three kids home and lets be honest it was a lot. Michael was still working 4-5 days a wee