Skip to main content

Potty Training

Let me start off with I'm not an expert. This is just my experience with the whole situation that is trying to "train" a toddler. Every child is different.


Okay so Grayson has shown interest in the potty for a while but he was never really into it.
I didn't want to push and send him into the dreaded holding it and causing more damage so for months we went with the flow. If he wanted to try we did if not no big deal. We bought undies and he wore them on occasion and we talked about Big!Boy!Underwear!So!Cool!

In April we started on our days home with him really trying to have the little potty out so that he knew he could use it. We also had a seat for our toilet so he had is choice.

Come August I was ready. He was ready and I knew he would be moving up to the next classroom at school where they really encourage the kids to be potty trained (it's not a requirement but it is suggested) so we buckled down.

That first weekend just about killed me. That kid would flat out say "I no want to wear dem underwears I want to wear my diiiiperrrr!" Talk about frustrating. But we worked on it. So he went on the potty and since he is easily motivated by chocolate M&M's were his victory treat! This worked awesome. We had lots of "Yay big boy status you went on the potty!" But he still wouldn't tell us when he went.


Fast forward to the next weekend. He is with my Mom (because we were on our anniversary get away) and they are in the grocery store and he grabs himself and says " I hafe to goooo" they ran to the potty and bam he went. He did super good the rest of the weekend and even when we went to the zoo.

Then he got smart and knew that if he went potty he would get M&M's, now I have a child going two to three dribbles just to get chocolate and delaying bed time, dinner time , clean up time because he had to go just so he could get chocolate. Enter panic and a child who was living on M&M's. Yeah not so good.


So I decided on a big reward and a sticker chart. Grayson has been asking for a fish for along time. He likes to look at them when we go to Wal Mart and so I knew this would motivate him.

So that day I went to the store purchased a poster board a million stickers and a bag full of small(er) toys and got to work. It was also at this time that I decided on no more diapers and switching to Pull Ups at times of sleeping. So he associated Pull-Ups with his bed and nothing else. We nixed the diapers all together.

I didn't take a picture of the chart before stickers sorry but basically I made a bunch squares and then randomly wrote TOY in them. This way he didn't really know when the next toy would be. We operated on a 1 sticker for #1 and 2 stickers for #2 system. And now he is fully potty trained

We have gone 2 weeks accident free and don't think I'm sitting at home with this kid. No way. We have gone to 2 parties 3 restaurants, quite a few stores and apple picking twice! I just make sure we go right before we leave. And the whole being potty trained a night he kind of did on his own. He said to Michael one night "Daddy you wear pull ups? You pee in your bed?" Michael said "No Buddy I hold it and get up and go pee" And ever since then he wakes us up when he has to go. Goes potty and goes back to sleep. It was that easy. And trust me I was fully prepared to be doing Pull-Ups at bedtime for a while but he decided against that.

He also earned is Fish. (in about a week)

Say Hello to Blaze! Grayson feeds Blaze twich a day (with our supervision of course) and can be found squishing his face up to that bowl mulitple times a day. And this Mama is so happy to be done with diapers!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Love that it's Friday Love that its Friday and we have a beautiful weekend ahead of us! Linking up with Andrea today! One These PJ's. When we first got married (and even before I was married really) I used to wear cute PJ's to bed and then I started to wear not so cute PJ's to bed so I ordered some new ones and OMG girls get these now. So so soft so so comfy and under $20.00! Plus they have pockets!   Two While your shopping at Kohls throw some of these picture frames in your cart! Just for fun! I love that they are easy to change out and have a distressed look! Plus they can sit on a shelf or be hung on the wall. Love! Three We have been swimming like crazy and that equals all the things that go with swimming like a million towels and swim suits. My bathroom was a mess. I usually never wash my swim suits I just rinse them out and hang dry they last a lot longer doing it that way and so I had things hanging every where! So I ord

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a

Home Schooling

Ah home schooling something that all of the country was thrown into. March 13 th was the last day that Grayson went to school and Charlotte and Marshalls last day was March 12 th . We got the call on March 15 th that school was closed for 2 weeks and that a pick up for at home materials would be on Tuesday. It was not required just suggested and so we loosely did school work. A worksheet here, spelling words here, some math problems ya know simple things. We truly believed that 2 weeks and they would be back in the classroom that is what the district presented as happening and so the distance learning was just to occupy time not to really learn anything new. Everything we were given was review.  Then we got the notification March 30 th we were closed again for another 2 weeks. Again, we were being loose with the learning because I was now working from home all but one day a week and had all three kids home and lets be honest it was a lot. Michael was still working 4-5 days a wee