Skip to main content

My second c-section

Okay so a little back story before I dive into my second recovery.

I carried Grayson to 40 weeks 2 days when they found out I was having contractions and he was measuring 2 weeks ahead of time so they induced me. I was given pitocin and after being on the highest dose and no dialation at all and Grayson's heart rate starting to dip with each contraction it was decided that I would have a c-section. My beautiful baby boy came out at 10 pounds 4 ounces and the doctor said there was no way I would have delivered him because of his size he would have gotten stuck in the birth canal. Anyway that is my back story I make big babies and I had a c-section.



Flash forward to this pregnancy and I knew I was having a repeat c-section for a few reasons: 
1) it's hospital policy that they do not do V-bacs (purely for legal reasons) 
2) I had a really good c-section experience before and a pretty easy recovery
3) once I found out it was twins I knew it was a safer option in my opinion to do the section 
4) I make big babies 

So once I hit 20 weeks I was ready to schedule my section  (one of the perks of a repeat section you get to schedule it) well my doctor said no. Twin pregnancies are very unpredictable and labor can come on at anytime and so he was not going to take up a c-section spot on the calendar when chances are I would not make it to that date anyway. 

I was bummed! Go figure my doctor was right because I had my sweet babies at 35 weeks. I remember it was a lot like last time I was told around 9:30 that I was having the babies that day and I'm pretty sure they came in to prep me around 11:30 and took me back to the OR around 12 so not a ton of time to freak out about having major surgery. 


A few things were different this time. I had a different anesthesiologist and I was not a fan of the way he did my spinal. My previous section I sat on the table with my legs out in front of me flat on the table this time I had to dangle my legs off the side of the table. It was beyond uncomfortable and I felt like my catheter was going to fall out. Then I had to swing my legs back on the table and they already felt like they were asleep that was hard. 

The second thing that was crazy was the room seemed so much smaller because we had twice the amount of equipment and twice the amount of people. 

Also I elected to have my tubes tied (a whole other post for another day) while the doctor was already doing surgery. Because of this once the babies were out  I got a nice shot in my IV and went to sleepy town while he did the tubal. I remember nothing after I kissed my babies until I was wheeled in my room. 

I felt good that night until the next day when I had to get up and use the bathroom. Holy cow my stomach muscles were shot to hell. It was like nothing I had ever felt before.

They give you a not so great binder at the hospital and my doctor instructed me to wear it for about 4 hours each day and to get up and walk at the hospital for at least 10 mins a day. He also said to not get behind on pain meds for the first week and I really listened to that. And trust me one time I slept through a pain med and ouch I could not move. From then on I set my alarm and took them on time for the first week. Then after that I started to space them out going an hour longer here and there and by 10 day post surgery I was taking one to sleep and one if I had to go out somewhere ( like taking the twins to the doctors) by 2 weeks I was off of pain meds completly.

I showered every day I was there and that was a ton different this time. Last time the first 2 showers I had a nurse helped me this time the nurse that I had during my first shower left the room and I was solo. I did it myself but that wore me out big time. I attempted to walk a lap around the maternity ward about 24 hours after my surgery and started to have some issues with bleeding so I only made it about half a lap before I was sent back to bed.

The next day I felt better and made it 1.5 laps before I felt like it was too much. Every day it got better but that first day was for sure a ton harder than I remember. I was given the option of staying an extra day but decided that I was good with only staying 3 nights and then heading home. I wanted to get home to my big boy and start in on our routine.


The one thing I did this time that I didn't do last time was buy a really good binder. I got this one and while the price tag is up there it for sure helped with my recovery big time. I'm already much smaller than I was with Grayson and the support from it is so worth it.  I'm almost to the point where I need one size smaller to help hold me in more and even though I cringe at buying two, I need it. Having twins stretched out my stomach muscles super far and the constant support is necessary. So I have followed the instructions to a T. I wore it 24/7 the first week, only taking it off to shower and now I wear it any where between 16-20 hours a day. I find I sleep better at night with it on at this point but I think that soon I will just be wearing it during the day.

That's it. I'm almost 4 weeks out and feeling great. I go to the doctor in 2 weeks and I'm hoping for clearance to exercise.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Love that it's Friday Love that its Friday and we have a beautiful weekend ahead of us! Linking up with Andrea today! One These PJ's. When we first got married (and even before I was married really) I used to wear cute PJ's to bed and then I started to wear not so cute PJ's to bed so I ordered some new ones and OMG girls get these now. So so soft so so comfy and under $20.00! Plus they have pockets!   Two While your shopping at Kohls throw some of these picture frames in your cart! Just for fun! I love that they are easy to change out and have a distressed look! Plus they can sit on a shelf or be hung on the wall. Love! Three We have been swimming like crazy and that equals all the things that go with swimming like a million towels and swim suits. My bathroom was a mess. I usually never wash my swim suits I just rinse them out and hang dry they last a lot longer doing it that way and so I had things hanging every where! So I ord

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a

Home Schooling

Ah home schooling something that all of the country was thrown into. March 13 th was the last day that Grayson went to school and Charlotte and Marshalls last day was March 12 th . We got the call on March 15 th that school was closed for 2 weeks and that a pick up for at home materials would be on Tuesday. It was not required just suggested and so we loosely did school work. A worksheet here, spelling words here, some math problems ya know simple things. We truly believed that 2 weeks and they would be back in the classroom that is what the district presented as happening and so the distance learning was just to occupy time not to really learn anything new. Everything we were given was review.  Then we got the notification March 30 th we were closed again for another 2 weeks. Again, we were being loose with the learning because I was now working from home all but one day a week and had all three kids home and lets be honest it was a lot. Michael was still working 4-5 days a wee