Skip to main content

To the soon to be twin mommy/new twin mommy

I've been a twin Mommy for about six months now and man is it the most rewarding, yet draining thing ever. To be in it is the only way to understand it. This letter has been on my heart for a few weeks because sometimes you just need to know your not alone.


Dear soon to be twin mommy/new twin mommy,

Her girl! Congrats to joining this crazy world of being a mom to twins. It's crazy. Like really crazy. But it's beautiful. The pregnancy was not easy because ya know twins makes you high risk automatically, silver lining of that you get more sonograms!!! Who doesn't loves seeing those babies more. If you're near the end I get it honey your stomach feels like it's going to rip the eff open. It won't but I get it, I feel your pain. Walking to the bathroom is a marathon and you might be at the stage where you wonder if this is the time that huffing and puffing yourself off the couch will be the time that your water breaks.

Even if you have your babies early it's okay. God has a great plan. Pre-term labor will probably happen at some point. For me it hit at about 32 weeks. Super thankful that it happened though because it allowed for me to get the shots for the babies lungs. Which was awesome news when I went into real labor at 35 weeks. If your a first time mom just take it easy, let people take care of you and rest as much as you can. Trust me, your body is going to keep breaking down even more just relax. If your a second time mama (like me) this is torture for you. This will rip your heart out. Because you feel awful not being able to take care of your other babies. But you have to do it. You are the only one that can grow these beautiful babes. So just breath, cry when you feel like you need to, and hug and kiss your first born as much as you can. Accepting help was hard for me but I was so thankful for it because like I said going to the bathroom was a marathon.

Now here is something important, listen to your body. You are the one who knows it best.

When I went into the hospital again thinking it wasn't the real deal (spoiler alert it was) I was in so much pain. I was ready to meet my babies. But so so so nervous. How was I going to do it? Have two newborns? Forget the fact that I had a 3 year old and going to one baby would have been an adjustment now I was going to have TWO. TWO of them!

Let me tell you this the second they come your heart says "girl you got this" the love you feel and the relief I had that they were here and healthy and safe and I could kiss them what just amazing. It's okay to sob when you hear that first baby cry and then hold your breath until you hear the second scream.
It's okay that your first question is "they are okay right? and they can come home with me right?"
It might take them a few seconds, minuets, hours to be released from the nursery if they are born early (before 38 weeks). Just breath it will all be good. Pray like crazy because praying will become your go to.

Girl, Hug and kiss on those babies. I found that even when I was exhausted and tired and feeling myself becoming frustrated because "why won't they sleep already?!?!?!?!?" That I would just hold them and kiss them and be thankful for them. They are such a miracle and not one that everyone gets so soak it all in. But don't get it twisted I found myself in my sleep deprived state often times saying things like "why don't you love mommy I just neeeed to sleeeeep, pleeeease close your eyes!" It happens. Then they will make eye contact with you and your mush.

They will flip flop their personalities more times than you can count. In the hospital Charlotte was my easy eater and burper, and Marshall was so difficult. Fast forward 2 weeks and he is easy peasy and she is hard. Around 2 months Marshall was the most fussy baby known to man, he would only sleep in the swing and it took an hour to feed him 4 ounces. Now at four months she will yell when she is done being on her activity mat and she fights her night time bottle like a champ. They keep you on your toes that's for sure. No two feedings are the same, no day is the same, and just when your all I got this one of them will throw up, while your changing the other ones diaper and your three year old just dumped ice water all over the floor (not that that happened to me, just kidding it did)

Your going to go through a million and one emotions all within an hour.Crying because they are getting big too fast is normal. Then freaking out because holy cow they go through a ton of diapers, and oh my gosh how will we pay for two of everything all at once will race through your mind. Totally normal. Insane but normal. And don't even get me started on the body issues after having twins. Who knew a stomach could look like a deflated basketball. Plus I looked like I was still pregnant for a long long time after having those babies. Buy a good support girdle and keep it moving that's all you can do.

You and your partner will become a great team. You will have to depend on each other more than you know. Pick up the slack when he is down and he will do the same for you. Divide and conquer will be your new thing. Preparing to do anything takes some serious planning. All the bottles, burp cloths, bibs, extra clothes, diaper, wipes. It all has to come with you x2 and that's a ton. Plus you will freak out on him for the dumbest things (like the babies not wearing matching PJ's) when you realize your being crazy just say sorry. He will laugh at you and you will move on.

You got this girl. All of it. You were made to be the mommy to these babies, you can do this and you will do this. You will survive those hard hard days, and you will make it to the easy days and love every second. Just know from one mommy to another I'm here cheering you on, in your corner telling you those feelings are all okay to have and that asking for help is ok. Enjoy those babies mommy.


Sincerly,

A Twin Mommy who is still trying to figure it all out and not lose her mind daily.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Love that it's Friday Love that its Friday and we have a beautiful weekend ahead of us! Linking up with Andrea today! One These PJ's. When we first got married (and even before I was married really) I used to wear cute PJ's to bed and then I started to wear not so cute PJ's to bed so I ordered some new ones and OMG girls get these now. So so soft so so comfy and under $20.00! Plus they have pockets!   Two While your shopping at Kohls throw some of these picture frames in your cart! Just for fun! I love that they are easy to change out and have a distressed look! Plus they can sit on a shelf or be hung on the wall. Love! Three We have been swimming like crazy and that equals all the things that go with swimming like a million towels and swim suits. My bathroom was a mess. I usually never wash my swim suits I just rinse them out and hang dry they last a lot longer doing it that way and so I had things hanging every where! So I ord

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a

Home Schooling

Ah home schooling something that all of the country was thrown into. March 13 th was the last day that Grayson went to school and Charlotte and Marshalls last day was March 12 th . We got the call on March 15 th that school was closed for 2 weeks and that a pick up for at home materials would be on Tuesday. It was not required just suggested and so we loosely did school work. A worksheet here, spelling words here, some math problems ya know simple things. We truly believed that 2 weeks and they would be back in the classroom that is what the district presented as happening and so the distance learning was just to occupy time not to really learn anything new. Everything we were given was review.  Then we got the notification March 30 th we were closed again for another 2 weeks. Again, we were being loose with the learning because I was now working from home all but one day a week and had all three kids home and lets be honest it was a lot. Michael was still working 4-5 days a wee