Skip to main content

Trusting my Mommy Gut....

Grayson was a fairly healthy baby. We did have a few colds that he needed to go the doctor's for but we always kept them under control, other than getting pink eye every cold season we have been blessed. One cold I remember taking him to the doctors office thinking that to me he was struggling to breath. The doctor assured me (after oxygn monitoring) that he was breathing fine and that a sure sign of labored breathing was the stomach sucking in around the ribs. Well that stuck with me.


Jump forward 2.5 years and Marshall has gotten the stuffy nose that his big brother brought home from daycare. What a joy having a 7 week old struggling to breath. I was giving him a bath last Monday night when I saw the sucking in around the ribs. Panick set in as I watched him breath heavy and the sucking continue. Thank goodness for Facetime because I Facetimed my Mom right away and she agreed with me. That was a cause for concern.


I got him out of the tub and in in his jammies and waited to see if his breathing slowed down at all and nope it stayed the same. I called our doctor, they got back to me with in minutes (it was after hours of course!) and she said to either go to the children's hospital (over an hour drive) or head to the pediatric urgent care. After discussing it with Michael we chose the urgent care and got him all packed up while my parents drove over to stay with Charlotte and Grayson.


Let me take a sidenote and say Grayson is amazing. It was bathtime when this all happened and so he still needed a bath, thankfully he agreed to a quick shower because once I explained to him that Marshall was having a hard time breathing because he couldn't blow his nose like him, he was more than happy to jump in the shower at super cat speed (PJ Masks anyone?) so that he could hold his brother and make him feel better. He was even good when we left before putting him to bed and gave us big kisses and told Marshall to "feel better fast Marshy Moo Moo" on our way out the door. Plus so thankful for my parents dropping everything and staying with our other 2 babies. We would be so lost without them.


Anyway we went through the drive thru for some iced coffee because we had been up some 16 odd hours at this point, on only a few hours of broken up sleep and didn't know how long the night would be and headed to the Urgent care. We were amazed from the second we walked in.

I signed in Marshall and before I could sit down they called me up to register him. I told them our concern was his breathing and that he was just shy of 8 weeks old and that he had been a preemie. She smiled at me and asked me to hold on for one second and she got up and went in the back. The next thing I know a NP is tapping me on the shoulder and asking me to un button Marshall's sleeper right there in the waiting room. She said his lungs were clear but that he was for sure laboring to breath and they wanted a oxygen monitor on him ASAP so she brought one out hooked it up to his toe and I finished registering him. Once I signed all the paper work they took us right back to get his temp and weight (which 11 pounds chunky monkey) and then took us back to a "crib room" as they called it.

Guys, Michael and I looked at eachother and said "can we stay the night here?" It had a full bed in it a TV with cable, noise machine and a crib. It was amazing.

Anyway Marshall's oxygen levels were good always saying between 94 and 100 (they said below 90 was cause for concern) but his heart rate would go up every once and a while and they said that was because he was so stuffed up and using every muscle he had to breath from his mouth since babies and primarly nose breathers he was struggling. So they decided to suck his nose out with the big machine.


The nurse came in and said I will just take him back since most parents cry and have a hard time with this. Michael and I both looked at eachother and said "We won't cry we are going with him" So they take us back to this big room with all these machines and I laid my sweet baby on the table. They basically have an electric machine and use a small catheder to suck his nose out that way they can go deep in and get it all out.

He screemed like I have never heard before, but the amount of stuff that they got out of his nose, they said was tripple what they normally get out of a newborn. He was blocked up so bad on his one nostrill that they had a hard time even getting the catheder up there but they finally broke through and got him all cleaned up. Plus I'm proud to report neither once of us cried. I think that speaks to being a second time parent and knowing that they are doing what they have to to help my baby. The staff was amazing and so kind and we will for be going back there if we ever have something happen after hours (hopefully it never does but kids have that timing of waiting unitl the doctors office is closed ha!)


He was breathing so much better after they sucked him out and fell right to sleep.

They told us a few times it was good that we brought him in because he did need to be cleaned out and we stopped him from swollowing all that mucus and getting even sicker. I used to try and avoid what my gut was telling me because a few times I was made to feel I was over reaccting however now I know that it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to my kids and their health.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Love that it's Friday Love that its Friday and we have a beautiful weekend ahead of us! Linking up with Andrea today! One These PJ's. When we first got married (and even before I was married really) I used to wear cute PJ's to bed and then I started to wear not so cute PJ's to bed so I ordered some new ones and OMG girls get these now. So so soft so so comfy and under $20.00! Plus they have pockets!   Two While your shopping at Kohls throw some of these picture frames in your cart! Just for fun! I love that they are easy to change out and have a distressed look! Plus they can sit on a shelf or be hung on the wall. Love! Three We have been swimming like crazy and that equals all the things that go with swimming like a million towels and swim suits. My bathroom was a mess. I usually never wash my swim suits I just rinse them out and hang dry they last a lot longer doing it that way and so I had things hanging every where! So I ord

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a

Home Schooling

Ah home schooling something that all of the country was thrown into. March 13 th was the last day that Grayson went to school and Charlotte and Marshalls last day was March 12 th . We got the call on March 15 th that school was closed for 2 weeks and that a pick up for at home materials would be on Tuesday. It was not required just suggested and so we loosely did school work. A worksheet here, spelling words here, some math problems ya know simple things. We truly believed that 2 weeks and they would be back in the classroom that is what the district presented as happening and so the distance learning was just to occupy time not to really learn anything new. Everything we were given was review.  Then we got the notification March 30 th we were closed again for another 2 weeks. Again, we were being loose with the learning because I was now working from home all but one day a week and had all three kids home and lets be honest it was a lot. Michael was still working 4-5 days a wee