Skip to main content

Our first month Progress

So it's been one month and I'm so proud of where we are in our debt journey.


I laid it all out here and if I'm being honest that post was hard to write.

I didn't know how people would react. But I really just wanted to have a way to check in, keep myself accountable and be able to look back and say look at what we did!



So just a quick refresh we are in Baby Step#1 and well we are doing great.

We have saved $650.00 towards our $1,000.00 goal.Over half way there!!!!


I'm beyond excited.

This month though was not without challenges. We had a car repair that came up and had to be done, as in Michael had no heat in his car and well it's winter here! Thankfully my company owns a repair shop so we got it done for just the cost of labor. Now old us would have charged that baby and made plans to pay it off over the next x amount of months. This time? We used out emergency fund. We were well over $750 in our Emergency Fund but chose to use that cash to pay for the repair. I have to tell you it felt good to pay cash.


We have also been sticking to the envelope system and doing a budget for the month. Our weekly budget meetings have turned into a mini date night (oh the things that get you excited once you have kids lol) we get a drink sit at the table and go over numbers. This is how we run things

On the 20th the month before we finalize our budget for the next month. Meaning we look at the Calender see what birthday's are coming up,events we have you know things that will cost extra money. Then we start our budget. We have a set amount for our monthly income and we end up with our zero based budget. Then I go through and put the weekly amounts for each item on the envelope.

Thursday night we sit down and go through what cash we will be pulling out of the bank the next day and then Friday night we distribute to envelopes and count up our Emergency Fund.

We are still on track to complete our Emergency Fund by December 31st and Start paying on our debt in January.

I have to say the biggest pay off for me in this journey has been the feeling of peace I have. I will be honest I used to stress about money. It would affect me on a daily basis. Now I feel so at ease. We have a plan. We were shopping for Papa Joe's birthday and Michael was like "here we go spending money" and I reminded him it was fine we had budgeted for it. It was a nice feeling. And yes using that Emergency Fund was a bummer but that is what it's there for.

This is a journey and every journey has set backs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Love that it's Friday Love that its Friday and we have a beautiful weekend ahead of us! Linking up with Andrea today! One These PJ's. When we first got married (and even before I was married really) I used to wear cute PJ's to bed and then I started to wear not so cute PJ's to bed so I ordered some new ones and OMG girls get these now. So so soft so so comfy and under $20.00! Plus they have pockets!   Two While your shopping at Kohls throw some of these picture frames in your cart! Just for fun! I love that they are easy to change out and have a distressed look! Plus they can sit on a shelf or be hung on the wall. Love! Three We have been swimming like crazy and that equals all the things that go with swimming like a million towels and swim suits. My bathroom was a mess. I usually never wash my swim suits I just rinse them out and hang dry they last a lot longer doing it that way and so I had things hanging every where! So I ord

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a

Home Schooling

Ah home schooling something that all of the country was thrown into. March 13 th was the last day that Grayson went to school and Charlotte and Marshalls last day was March 12 th . We got the call on March 15 th that school was closed for 2 weeks and that a pick up for at home materials would be on Tuesday. It was not required just suggested and so we loosely did school work. A worksheet here, spelling words here, some math problems ya know simple things. We truly believed that 2 weeks and they would be back in the classroom that is what the district presented as happening and so the distance learning was just to occupy time not to really learn anything new. Everything we were given was review.  Then we got the notification March 30 th we were closed again for another 2 weeks. Again, we were being loose with the learning because I was now working from home all but one day a week and had all three kids home and lets be honest it was a lot. Michael was still working 4-5 days a wee