Skip to main content

Grayson's first trip to the eye doctor


About 2 weeks ago I got a call from the school nurse regarding Grayson. My first thought went to that he was sick. But she said no he is fine.
The words she spoke next made me so very confused
"Graysons teacher has noticed that he was having trouble with his colors so she brought him down to be tested for Color blindness and he has failed the test so we recommend that you get him looked at by his pediatrician"

I'm pretty sure I responded with "Um what?" because this was the first we had heard of any concern over him knowing his colors. She sent home the test results and the next day I called our Dr.


In talking to the Dr he decided that the best course of action was to go directly to a pediatric ophthalmologist who specializes in this.  Thankfully there is an amazing one about an hour from us and they got him in the following week.

So Michael took off Friday and my Mom came to watch Marshall and Charlotte and off we went to our 9:15 appointment. We had talked to him about it prior and had approached it as this is something every kid has to do before they go to kindergarten kind of like going to the dentist. No. Big.Deal. We did stress that it was very important that he answer all the Dr's questions when asked and that he answer them honestly. We did this so that he didn't feel any unnecessary pressure like something should be wrong with him. We just wanted him to go into it like it was just another test for school and not because something was wrong with him



 The resident came in and gave him a sight test and then gave him the color test and I could tell right there before anyone said anything that he failed the color test. He got one right and that was the one that everyone can see. She kept saying "Are you sure that you can't see and numbers in this picture?" and he would just shake his head no. All the other ones on the color test he failed. The doctor came in and told us that yes he was in fact color blind and that on a scale of 1-10 he was a solid 4-5. He can see color but certain shades and certain colors are hard to tell between. He is also near sited so he has a hard time seeing things far away but it's not to the point of glasses yet. So we will monitor him every year or take him in if we see him squinting or he starts complaining of headaches. Other than that he has perfectly healthy eyes.

He has the hardest time with darker colors so if red and brown is in front of him it all looks red. If blue and purple are in front of him it's all blue. Black and gray all look gray. Basically if there are too many colors it becomes all muddled and the color there is the most of is what he sees. His biggest color problem though is yellow he sees green every time. He has always said he doesn't like yellow and I couldn't figure out why well that's because he doesn't see it.


Michael and I have processed this and then processed it some more. I want to let you know that I'm very aware that it could be worse. That in the grand scheme of things this is minor. I'm aware. But as a parent any thing that may hinder or change your child's life at all is a blow. So please just know that I'm not trying to act like this is the end of the world. It was just such a shock.

So my first reaction was how did I his mother not see this? How did I not pick up on this? How many times have I gotten frustrated with him for not picking up what I asked him when I referenced a color or getting the black shirt when I clearly asked him for the blue one? How many times has he come up to me and said "Mommy is this the purple crayon?" and I have gotten aggravated with him because "Grayson you know that's not purple" 
Guilt washed over my body. I felt like I had failed him. 

Michael's reaction was different. He wanted to know how to fix it. How do we get this taken care of. And well there is no fix which as a parent it hard to swallow.

Our other big issue is relating to him. I have had to now correct myself on how I identify things to him. For example we were at my niece's swim meet a few days after the school nurse called and he kept asking which one was Libby (we were across the pool and up from her) and I kept saying to him "She is the one with the pink swim cap on" and he continued to ask and then it clicked what if he doesn't see pink? Because he still couldn't point Libby out to me and she was the only one with a bright pink swim cap on. Again a wash of guilt pinged in my heart because I was getting frustrated with him because I could clearly see it so why couldn't he?

I told that story to the Dr. and he said that the further away he is that harder color will be to see.


So the Dr. told Grayson right in the room that he was color blind. Grayson's eye's just got big and he  got really quite. So we talked with the Dr. and then once we got in the car we talked to him about it.
He was so fine with it because really he doesn't know any different.

We have started an open dialogue with him and I just have been asking him more and more what he sees. Plus I don't want him to think that it its wrong what he sees, even if it different from what the majority sees. So the other day after hockey I made a comment about his yellow shorts and he said "These shorts are yellow? I thought they were green!" I told him "nope yellow" He then said to me "Well you do know I'm color blind right?" He has taken this all in stride and really just is not affected by it.

It's just an adjustment. More for me and Michael and the adults in his life than for Grayson. His life is the same but the way we identify things to him has to change a little bit. We are working on it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Love that it's Friday Love that its Friday and we have a beautiful weekend ahead of us! Linking up with Andrea today! One These PJ's. When we first got married (and even before I was married really) I used to wear cute PJ's to bed and then I started to wear not so cute PJ's to bed so I ordered some new ones and OMG girls get these now. So so soft so so comfy and under $20.00! Plus they have pockets!   Two While your shopping at Kohls throw some of these picture frames in your cart! Just for fun! I love that they are easy to change out and have a distressed look! Plus they can sit on a shelf or be hung on the wall. Love! Three We have been swimming like crazy and that equals all the things that go with swimming like a million towels and swim suits. My bathroom was a mess. I usually never wash my swim suits I just rinse them out and hang dry they last a lot longer doing it that way and so I had things hanging every where! So I ord

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a

Home Schooling

Ah home schooling something that all of the country was thrown into. March 13 th was the last day that Grayson went to school and Charlotte and Marshalls last day was March 12 th . We got the call on March 15 th that school was closed for 2 weeks and that a pick up for at home materials would be on Tuesday. It was not required just suggested and so we loosely did school work. A worksheet here, spelling words here, some math problems ya know simple things. We truly believed that 2 weeks and they would be back in the classroom that is what the district presented as happening and so the distance learning was just to occupy time not to really learn anything new. Everything we were given was review.  Then we got the notification March 30 th we were closed again for another 2 weeks. Again, we were being loose with the learning because I was now working from home all but one day a week and had all three kids home and lets be honest it was a lot. Michael was still working 4-5 days a wee