Skip to main content

February Debt Re-Cap

Happy March!!

February marked a huge milestone for us we are offically done with credit card debt!!!!!


We have paid them all of and closed them.


WE ARE CREDIT CARD FREE!!!!!!

That is so nice to say...

So this month we paid of $2,224.56 in debt

We also cash flowed $535 for oil


And then we had to use our emergency fund......(insert the womp womp sound here)


We had a huge hot water tank debacle.

So at the beginning of the month we noticed that we had a small leak on the seam of our hot water tank. We decided that we would finish paying off the credit card and then save up for a hot water tank.

Well we paid off our credit card and paid for the oil and then the small leak was not so small anymore. So we used our emergency fund to pay for the emergency and got a new hot water tank. We shopped deals and found a good brand for a great price and a pretty hefty rebate.

Michael and my Dad installed it on Sunday. On Tuesday it was leaking. Yes the new one was leaking. On Wednesday my Dad came over and tried to put some goop stuff on the threads of blots and what not (I don't know all the technical things ha!) So Thursday it's still leaking and pretty bad at this point so my Dad who is my hero goes to my house, drains the tank, brings it up to Home Depot so I can run over on my lunch and return it for a new one. He then installed the new one himself because he is that awesome.

So we let it fill up and go through all that and bam Thursday night it is leaking. So we called a plumber and they said what can happen with the brand that we got since it is a cheaper version that they make for home stores it can flood the expansion tank. So we decided to return the hot water tank and go to a plumbing supply store and buy a better hot water tank and a new expansion tank. So Saturday morning Michael and my Dad (again a saint!) installed a 3rd hot water tank and a new expansion tank.

The 3rd time was the charm and so we have nice hot water now!

And we are working on getting our emergency fund back to $1,000

We will have that done this month and then we are starting to hammer away at our 2nd to last loan.

This plan works. The hot water tank situation solidified that to us. Normally we would have charged that on a credit card and said we would take care of it next month. Now it's taken care of debt free!


Another thing that has changed for me in a big way is how I shop for the kids. I used to buy kids clothes and such and just put it on the credit card forget about it and then cringe when the clothes didn't get worn (because of growth spurts and such) or feel guilty because I knew we were still paying for them. Now we have a kids clothing budget and I get to buy freely. Trust me it's not much a $100.00 a month for all 3 kids and some months I don't touch this but with having a girl and no hand me downs I do have to buy 90% of her wardrobe from scratch (the other 10% comes from some very generous aunts and grandparents). So it ebbs and flows and the $100.00 seems to be a good place to be for when we have to buy a spring wardrobe or summer one. I'm super considerate of what we buy. I look at price and function. I don't buy an outfit for just one occasion, which in full transparency I used to do. I'm just free now to spend within the limits we have set out. I no longer have a ping in my stomach when I leave Target because I spent way to much on a credit card I new I would be carrying that around for far too long.


I'm just happy we have chosen this path and I can't wait to see what it holds for us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites

Love that it's Friday Love that its Friday and we have a beautiful weekend ahead of us! Linking up with Andrea today! One These PJ's. When we first got married (and even before I was married really) I used to wear cute PJ's to bed and then I started to wear not so cute PJ's to bed so I ordered some new ones and OMG girls get these now. So so soft so so comfy and under $20.00! Plus they have pockets!   Two While your shopping at Kohls throw some of these picture frames in your cart! Just for fun! I love that they are easy to change out and have a distressed look! Plus they can sit on a shelf or be hung on the wall. Love! Three We have been swimming like crazy and that equals all the things that go with swimming like a million towels and swim suits. My bathroom was a mess. I usually never wash my swim suits I just rinse them out and hang dry they last a lot longer doing it that way and so I had things hanging every where! So I ord

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a

Home Schooling

Ah home schooling something that all of the country was thrown into. March 13 th was the last day that Grayson went to school and Charlotte and Marshalls last day was March 12 th . We got the call on March 15 th that school was closed for 2 weeks and that a pick up for at home materials would be on Tuesday. It was not required just suggested and so we loosely did school work. A worksheet here, spelling words here, some math problems ya know simple things. We truly believed that 2 weeks and they would be back in the classroom that is what the district presented as happening and so the distance learning was just to occupy time not to really learn anything new. Everything we were given was review.  Then we got the notification March 30 th we were closed again for another 2 weeks. Again, we were being loose with the learning because I was now working from home all but one day a week and had all three kids home and lets be honest it was a lot. Michael was still working 4-5 days a wee