Skip to main content

Mom Talk Tuesday

When I read through the topics for Mom Talk Tuesday with Stephanie I knew this one would be hard to write about and I wasn't sure what I would say. But I decided that honesty is the best policy and so here it goes.

Have a kid is hard. I love love love Grayson but becoming his Mama tested a ton of things about me. From second one they test your heart. And they win because they make it grow a thousand times bigger and ache because you love them so much. They test your patience, your sanity, how many hours you can go on 3 hours of sleep, and how many cups of coffee is needed to be able to "function" for the day. They also test your marriage.


Now this is my experience and no I'm not saying Grayson is a strain on our marriage but who we became after we had Grayson changed our marriage.


My sister-in-law gave me the best advice the day after I had Grayson and that was that Michael and I were both trying to figure out our new normal and that it was okay if I felt like I wanted to punch him in the face because that feeling would pass and that we should talk through it.


And yes I did want to punch him in the face. But it passed and we talked about it. Grayson will be two next month and I think we are still adjusting and trying to find the romance. In the last 2-3 months we have come up with a few simple rules that we try very hard to follow. Here they are and even these are still a work in progress as is everything in life!

ONE
Date night. Alone. Yes it's fun to go out with friends but it is a one on one connection that is needed. We try to do this at least once a month. Even if it means staying home and watching a movie once Grayson goes to bed. We try to do this at least once a month. It's hard and we are trying to come up with a plan with my Mom where she watched Grayson twice a month for a few hours so that we can have alone time.


TWO
NO phones after Grayson goes to bed. They go up stairs we don't touch them. We focus on each other. And while we only get about an hour a night together we try to make the most of it. 

THREE
Undivided attention. This is my biggest fault. I try to multitask and I don't give him my undivided attention. I will be feeding Grayson, folding laundry and watching TV a while talking to Michael and I always miss something. He finally sat me down and told me that he felt at the bottom of my priorities so now during dinner we talk and I do nothing else. 


FOUR
Appreciation. Listen my husband is the best there is he does so much for Grayson and I. But we fell into a rut of just assuming that the other one knew that we appreciated everything the other one did. I have started telling Michael one thing he did that day that helps me out. For example today he brought my boots in so that they were warm when I went to put them on my feet and he put Grayson's eye drops by his breakfast snack so I wouldn't forget them. So I called him and told him how much that helped and that I appreciated it. He feels like what he does matters and it goes along way! 


FIVE
Cook together. For us cooking is very therapeutic. I love it, Michael loves it, and Grayson thinks he is a chef. I sit down on Sunday's and we meal plan together. That way we both know what we are having and when. And then we decide who will cook what. We don't cook together every night but at least once a week. It gives us a hobby together and we love it. Now it doesn't have to be cooking but a family/ you and spouse hobby goes a long long way. 

SIX
Read This book

It changed our lives. Everyone has a love language and so I try to make sure that there is a little something in his love language everyday. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four Things right now

Four things about all of us right now... Grayson One- This boy has finally found his groove in 1st grade. Kinder to 1st was a big adjustment but he's doing well now. And he is a spelling champ! He does sooooo good on his spelling tests! Two- Hockey is life for this kid. He skates twice a week (once doing a hockey specific clinic and once doing family skate see below) His skills are really growing Three- He loves reading and so we are riding that wave all the way. Four- He has to wear his glasses full time now. What started out as hey wear these when you watch TV that is farther away or when you sit farther from the board has turned into needing them full time. Our school has a local organization that comes in and does eye assessments for free for the elementary schools and they sent home a letter saying get him to the eye doctor he needs glasses (well that was the jist of it) and we since we already had glasses from his eye doctor he just started with tho...

A nice little sweet spot

The sweet spot…. We seem to have hit one. I feel like we have not been in a sweet spot since the twins were about 6 months old. You know before they were mobile and can get into a ton of mischief. When kids are 0-6 months they still like to be held they eat mostly bottles and they mostly just stay in one spot. No issues, you can go places and even though you have to pack up your whole house to be prepared you can relax. And if you are in my family someone is always willing to hold or feed or change a baby. 7-months to 2.5 years old is what I refer to as the lost years. You have so many things you have to do for them they are not potty trained and they are mobile and get into EVERYTHING. Going outside is more work than its worth and with twins they scatter in opposite directions. Three on one is so hard handle in big open spaces. I would often find myself skipping outside time because the work was just too much for me. When the twins turned 3 and Grayson was 6 it felt like we had a ...

Conferences, Grocery Pick up and trying to get out the door

I had grand plans to document our day on Friday. I was going for an every hour sort of thing and then after the 3rd hour lost track I will shoot for next Friday though we will see I'm off on Friday's ( all the happy faces for a 4 day work week and the $$$ saved on daycare ) It was our February break from school so Grayson is home too. I get up at 6:15 on Fridays which is sleeping for me because during the week I'm up at 5 and I head downstairs to do a workout. I'm in a funk right now with that stuff but I still move my body. Today I did a 10 min arm video and 10 min lower body video. I stretch for a few mins and I'm done just in time for Grayson to come wandering down the stairs. I chug some water. Check in with Michael and head upstairs to get Marshall and Charlotte from their beds. They both woke up dry (we are in the throws of potty training and are still in pull ups at night for now) They charge downstairs yelling that they have to pee and demanding...